Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Michaelangelo's David


Among the billions of fans of Michaelangelo, I am one. Be it the Pieta or Sistine Chappel or David, you can see the sculptors perfection to the core. His precise definition of human body is appreciated till date.

David is a masterpiece sculpted by Michelangelo from 1501 to 1504. The 5.17 meter (17 feet) marble statue portrays the Biblical King David in the nude. Michelangelo chose to represent David before the fight contemplating the battle yet to come. The completed sculpture was unveiled on 8 September 1504.

I waited in the hot sun in Florence (Italy) to see David. It should have been afternoon 2 PM. It was really thirsty. I barged into a near by gelatti (ice cream) shop and got water bottles. At the entry itself, the staff instructed not to take any photograph inside the Museum. That added thrill. By the time I found David it was already 4PM. Atlast I reached the 17 foot tall majestic DAVID. The proposition of a human being who could be max max 7 foot into a 17 foot tall statue was AMAZING. I could not resist myself. I risked my camera and took a few shots of DAVID (without using flash). To my surprise all the shots came very well. Here they are for you to enjoy.

Kindly make note of the following:
(1) The huge crowd infront of David
(2) Size of David compared to liliput human visitors
(3) Anatomy of Davids hand like Veins etc
(4) Centre of Gravity of David statue is only on one leg. Other leg is only supportive. Such a huge statue precisely balanced to stand in its own leg : that brings David to Life. That's Michaleangelo.

Note: Do look David from an Artist point of view. (Not from a common mans point of view)

No comments:

Post a Comment