Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Keats Museum


While roaming in ROME, I reached the Spanish Steps. It has been quoted as a popular tourist spot. There was huge crowd walking up and down the 80 odd steps leading to a church on the top. On the side of the Spanish steps, I accidentally saw a small cloth banner which read "Keats-Shelly Museum". No visitor seems to be interested in it. But I insisted my DAD who was with me that we need to visit this place.

The museum was on the 2nd or 3rd floor - I donot remember. It was quiet expensive : something like 6 Euro per head as entry fee. I spent close to 90 minutes in this place. This was the mansion where Mr.John keats, lived during his last days. He died of Tuberclusosis.

To brief John Keats : was born on 1791 in London. His poems are still today read and appreciated for the Romantic flavour. He died as a bachelor in 1922, at an early age of 31. His friends Shelly and Lord Byron continued to live in this mansion after Keats.

In this museum, I saw his personal room, his living room with fire place, and a few more notes. Though not an english literature student, I did enjoy my visit to Keats-Shelly museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment