Thursday, October 28, 2010

Invictus

In one of the business presentations, MD of ICICI Pru Company Mr.Nilesh Shah gave a tip about this Oscar Nominated Movie "Invictus". Back from the meeting, I tried my level best to buy the cd from local bazar, but in vain. Probably local's watch movies like enthiran etc and not Invictus. Not losing heart, I ordered the VCD through the internet and it was promptly delivered.

After a few days of arrival of the CD, I reserved yesterday night to watch this movie at home. I could feel fresh blood running in me, at the end of the movie. For anyone who need a pinch of self-motivation, plz see this movie.

The movie starts with Mandela being released from prison, when a 'White' sports coach tells his boys : "It's the terrorist Mandela, they let him out. Remember this day boys, this is the day our country went to the dogs."

Ultimately Mandela wins election and becomes president of South Africa. The movie deals with his leadership qualities in managing the differences between his country men - be it white or black and how he brings in unity while restoring the nation's pride.

The movie is centred around the South African Rugby team called "Spring Box" and how Mandela inspires the team to win the Rugby world cup held in South Africa in 1995.

The Rugby captain Francois Pienaar quotes at one place : "He's unlike any person I've ever met. I was thinking how a man could spend thirty years in prison, and come out and forgive the men who did it to him ..."

And when the sports minister of South Africa comments "According to the experts, we'll reach the quarter-finals, and no further.", Nelson Mandela replies : "According to the experts, you and I should still be in jail."

So experts do go wrong often.

And When Mandela was in Robin Island as prisoner for 27 years, he frequently keeps saying :
"I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul."

This is a small part of a large poem called "INVICTUS" from the Victorian Era. Repeating this quote made him get up when ever he fell down in his prison years.

Full Poem "INVICTUS":

"Out of the night that covers me,
black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thanks whatever gods may be,
for my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance,
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of fate,
my head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears,
looms but the horror of the shade,
and yet,
the menace of the years finds,
and shall find me,
unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
how charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the master of my fate - I am the captain of my soul."


And my special thanks to Nilesh for having shared information about this wonderful movie. The movie did help me a lot - to regroup my energy and look forward. For you to feel what I say ...... you need to watch this movie. No Execuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment